The world of supplements can be a confusing place. Walk into any supermarket, health food shop or perform a simple search on Google, and the options available to you are endless.
Now it's important to say that taking any form of supplements, whether vitamins, minerals, herbs etc, should never be in replacement of a healthy, varied and balanced diet. However, high-quality natural supplements can greatly support your health and wellbeing in a number of ways - if taken correctly.
So, how do you know if a supplement is high-quality and 'clean'? And what are the essential factors you need to look out for?
Let's explore in a bit more detail...
Firstly, what do we mean by the term 'clean supplement'?
Although there is no legal definition, clean supplements should contain food or nature-based ingredients, enabling us to reap the benefits just like mother nature intended.
They should ideally be free from…
- artificial sweeteners, colours and flavours
Supplements produced and distributed on a mass scale are often made with cheap synthetic ingredients and bulked out with fillers that contain no health benefit whatsoever. Some of these products may still claim they are 'natural' but only contain a small amount of plant-derived ingredients, compared to the majority of low-cost synthetic ingredients they're mainly packed out with.
We appreciate that all this can be confusing and overwhelming - so here are our tips when purchasing premium-quality natural clean supplements, like ours here at The Herbtender.
What to look out for when buying natural clean supplements...
- Check whether the brand has a credible expert on their development team. And even better if you can contact them to ask any questions. You can meet The Herbtender's Medical Herbalist, Schia Mitchell Sinclair, here.
- Look for companies with a few core offerings rather than hundreds. This will likely mean they're focusing on creating a fantastic product over quick profits.
- Pick supplements in their purest form - usually capsules, liquids or bulk powders. Tablets tend to contain more additives and synthetic ingredients, plus they are harder to be absorbed by your body.
- Avoid things with 'propyl' or 'ethyl' in the ingredients — these often relate to artificially made additives and should be avoided.
- Count the ingredients - fewer ingredients mean it's less likely to be full of additives.
And arguably, the most important one of all…
Read the ingredients label!
Scan the ingredients for fillers, bulking agents and ingredients you don't want to be in there. If you don't understand most of them and they have a 'chemically' sounding name, it's probably best to avoid.
And finally, what do our supplements here at The Herbtender contain?
Our supplements harness the power of adaptogens - herbs that have been safely used for centuries. Our formulations are never rushed. Thoughtfully crafted by our own medical herbalist, every product has been trialled twice.
We never add nasties like fillers, binders, sweeteners or any of the other ingredients mentioned above - and all our blends are vegan, dairy-free, soya free, certified gluten-free and certified kosher. Our natural products are also made here in the UK - this means that we produce locally and adhere to strict policies.
Here at The Herbtender, we're proud to offer you a range of sustainable wellness supplements of the highest quality. A simple and natural way to help you adapt to your world's ups and downs, letting you live a healthier, calmer and more focused life.
And if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, pop us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or send us a DM at @theherbtender!